Recognize and explain how the scientific method is used to solve problems.
Written Assignment: Biology and Technology in the Real World (this is a graded assignment due by 11:59pm on Sunday, 4/23/17)
This assignment addresses course outcomes 1-4:
recognize and explain how the scientific method is used to solve problems
make observations and discriminate between scientific and pseudoscientific explanations
weigh evidence and make decisions based on strengths and limitations of scientific knowledge and the scientific method
use knowledge of biological principles, the scientific method, and appropriate technologies to ask relevant questions, develop hypotheses, design and conduct experiments, interpret results, and draw conclusions
1. Select one of the topics listed below.
2. Find at least three information sources related to the topic. All three sources must be cited in-text and listed in the references portion of the paper, all in APA format. You can find assistance with searching for articles at the UMUC Library Subject Guides at http://libguides.umuc.edu/science.
3. Write a 750-1500 word paper, excluding references and title page. You must read the information sources that you find and summarize the information in your own words, addressing each of the questions and expectations for your chosen topic (SEE BELOW – THERE ARE THREE TOPICS FROM WHICH YOU MUCT CHOOSE) AND provide an analysis of the information and your opion of it, along with a defense of your opinion. Extensive quotes from the article are unacceptable. Use APA style for citing references, see https://www.umuc.edu/library/libhow/apa_tutorial.cfm
4. Post your assignment to the Assignment folder by the due date listed in the course schedule.
5. The grading rubric for this assignment appears at the end of this posting.
Topics (select one of the three topics below!!)
a) Genetically modified organisms (GMOs). What is the purpose genetic engineering of crop plants and domestic animals? Briefly explain how GMOs are created. What foods in your supermarket contain GMOs? Are foods that contain GMOs safe for human consumption? What types of regulations exist for these foods? Clearly explain your reasoning for each answer.
b) Stem cells. Your friend had a spinal cord injury after a bad car accident. The medical team has decided that he is a good candidate for a clinical trial using stem cell therapy. Your friend has not had a biology course since high school, so you decide to write him a letter sharing your knowledge of stem cells. Include in your letter a description of the biology of stem cells and how these cells are unique from other cells. Contrast the different types of stem cells, including pros and cons of each. Explain how stems cells are can be used to treat diseases and injury, with special focus on spinal cord injuries. Conclude with your own opinion.
The post Recognize and explain how the scientific method is used to solve problems. Written Assignment: Biology and Technology in the Real World (this is a graded assignment due by 11:59pm on Sunday, 4/23/17) appeared first on My Nursing Paper.
Order a similar paper and get 15% discount on your first order with us
One Freelance Limited: a professional writing service that provides original papers. Our products include academic papers of varying complexity and other personalized services, along with research materials for assistance purposes only. All the materials from our website should be used with proper references.