Topic 1: Define and Describe Your Foreground and Background Information
In Unit 1 you identified a PICOT question. Using the same question, rewrite the question for your peers and define the difference between foreground and background information as it relates to your PICOT question. Also, provide a general overview on what evidence is available.
See the Discussion Board grading rubric on the Course Home.
Topic 2: Rapid Appraisal Checklists
Comment about how you can apply the checklists, referenced in the Practice section of Activities, into your research for feedback from your instructor and peers.
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare
- Chapter 1: “Making the Case for Evidence-Based Practice and Cultivating a Spirit of Inquiry”
- Chapter 2: “Asking Compelling, Clinical Questions”
- Chapter 3: “Finding Relevant Evidence to Answer Clinical Questions”
- Chapter 4: “Critically Appraising Knowledge for Clinical Decision Making”
- Chapter 5: “Critically Appraising Quantitative Evidence for Clinical Decision Making”
Irwin, M., Bergman, M., & Richards, R. (2013). The experience of implementing evidence-based practice change: A qualitative analysis. Journal of Oncology Nursing, 17, 548–49.
Melnyk, B., Fineout-Overholt, E., Stillwell, S., & Williamson, K. (2009). Igniting a spirit of inquiry: An essential foundation for evidence-based practice. American Journal of Nursing, 109(11), 49–52.
Newhouse, R. (2006). Evidence and the executive: Examining the support for evidence-based nursing practice. Journal of Nursing Administration, 36(7/8), 337–340.
Welford, C., Murphy, K., & Casey, D. (2011). Demystifying nursing research terminology: Part 1. Nurse Researcher, 18(4), 38–43.
Welford, C., Murphy, K., & Casey, D. (2012). Demystifying nursing research terminology: Part 2. Nurse Researcher, 19(2), 29–35.
Go to the NCQA site, navigate to the “About NCQA” page, and read about the purpose and design of this organization to promote evidence-based quality in healthcare.
- National Committee on Quality Assurance. 2015. Retrieved from http://www.ncqa.org
- Review Appendix B, Rapid Critical Appraisal Checklists, on pages 539–550.
- Determine how the checklists can be integrated into your research and then begin applying to your project.
- Use Discussion Topic 2 to post your comments about using these checklists in your research.
Please, concentrate more on the question # 1.