Picture yourself as a healthcare supervisor for a local hospital. Recently, there has been an increase in new hires along with a need to provide them with a primer in confidentiality and cultural dive…
Picture yourself as a healthcare supervisor for a local hospital. Recently, there has been an increase in new hires along with a need to provide them with a primer in confidentiality and cultural diversity training. Your supervisor just announced that you will be leading these training sessions, and he or she asked you to prepare a presentation on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), patient confidentiality, and diversity in the workplace.
Your presentation should consist of the following content:
- Slide 1: Include a title slide. Include the title of the assignment, your name, and the name of the university.
- Slide 2: Explain confidentiality.
- Slide 3: Explain HIPAA.
- Slides 4–5: Identify ways to protect patient confidentiality verbally, in written form, and in digital form.
- Slide 6: Identify areas of concern regarding patient confidentiality and legal repercussions for not following legal and ethical standards for patient care records.
- Slides 7–8: Create a scenario concerning patient confidentiality, and provide a solution to the confidentiality dilemma. See the example scenario and solution below.
- Scenario example: Susan is a therapist in the emergency room (ER) of a city hospital, and she has just heard that a fellow employee is pregnant. The other staff members would like to give the employee a baby shower, but nobody knows when the baby is due or if the baby is a boy or a girl. Susan has access to the records and could easily find the answers to both questions. Should Susan try to get information about the pregnancy and share it with the staff?
- Solution example: Susan should absolutely not access her coworker’s medical records. This is clearly an unauthorized use of medical information. Remember that any time patient information is used for purposes other than treatment, payment, or operations, it must be authorized by the patient.
- Slides 9–10: Explain cultural differences that healthcare workers should be aware of in their interactions with patients and colleagues.
- Slide 11: List resources for employees who may want further information regarding HIPAA and cultural diversity.
- Slide 12: Include a reference slide.
Your presentation should have at least 10 content slides; the title slide and reference slide are not included in the minimum slide requirement. The citations and references should follow APA format.